martes, 26 de agosto de 2008

Past Perfect

1.- We form the Past Perfect with had and the past participle of a verb (e.g. started, taken):

full and short form

I/you/he/she/it had started or ´d started
We/they

I had taken it. or I´d taken it


2.- Look at this

A year ago:

Jenny is flying to Rome. She thinks, I have never been on a plane before now.

Now:

Jenny flew to Rome last year. she had never been on a plane before that.

When we talk about an event or situation in past time we use the Past Simple (e.g. flew);
if we talk about an event before that time, we use the Past perfect (e.g. had been). Here
is another example:

Last Saturday at the cinema:

Mary: We don't need to queue because I've already bought the tickets.

Now talking about last Saturday

Mary: We didn't need to a queue because I had already bought the tickets.


Note that we can use never and already before the past participle (e.g. been bought).


3.- If we talk a series of past events in order, we use the Past Simple:

A: I saw a beautiful bird in my garden.
B: I went to get my camera.
C: The bird flew away
D: I returned with my camera


A B C D
-------------> now

We need the Past Perfect to talk make it clear that one use of the events is not in order:

D: I returned with my camera.
C: The bird had already flown away.
(The bird had gone before I returned.)

Also, compare these sentences using when:

Past Simple: When I returned with my camera, the bird flew away.
( It went after I returned.)

Past Perfect: When I returned with my camera, the bird had flown away.
( It went before I returned.)

4.- The Past Perfect is used in reported speech:

I have suffered from asthma for many years. She told the doctor that she had suffered
from asthma for many years.



1 comentario:

Mariano de Toledo dijo...

Amigo y Hermano pequeño, a veces uno pierde las proporciones, hoy me siento feliz ya que me encontré con mi familla, contigo y estoy recuperando a mis compañeros de la Universidad.
Ya di vuelta la página, hoy estoy limpio, tranquilo y con trabajo lo que me cosa que pone muy contento.
Las caídas te enseñan, y sabes soy de dos y no tres.
Hoy he vuelto a reencontrarme con mi gente, y de verdad estoy más feliz que nunca.

Insisto no terminare nunca de agradecerte el que hallas aparecido en mi vida.
Falta poco para el giro en 180 grados.

Desde hoy no dejare nunca mas entrar en mi vida lo toxico, o estoy dispuesto a recomenzar nuevamente 8 aun tengo tiempo, talento e inteligencia.

Mil gracias a nuestras familias que me acogen con dulzura.

Te quiero hermanito pequeño porque eres un niño bueno, un ángel y por sobretodo honesto y me aceptas tal como soy.

Y para finalizar, cada día me doy cuenta que lo único que trasciende en nuestras vidas es la familia y los verdaderos amigos que te quieren incondicionalmente, te ayudan, comprenden y te aceptan.

Un gigantesco abrazo….