viernes, 4 de julio de 2008

Present Perfect (3)

1.- We use Just with the Present Perfect to talk about things that happened a short time before now:

Have + just + Past Participle

It has just finished

Could I speak to Jane, please? - I'm afraid
She has just left.
(= She left a short time ago)

Is that a good book? - I've just started it
(= I started it a short time before now.)


2.- Look at this example with already:

Do you want something to eat? - No thanks, I've already eaten
(= I ate before now.)

We use already with the Present Perfect to emphasize that something happened before
now, or before it was expected to happen. we use already like this:

Have + already + Past Participle
I've already heard that story.


Here is another example:

Nicola: Is Sarah going to phone you later?
Robert: No. She's (= She has) already phoned me.
(= Sarah phoned before Nicola expected her to phone.)


3.- We use yet with a negative verb to say that something has not happened, but we think that it will happen:

I haven't escaped yet.

The post hasn't arrived yet.
(= The post has not arrived, but it probably will arrive.)

I haven't finished this work yet.
(= I haven't finished this work, but I will finish it.)

They haven't replied to my letter yet.


We use yet in questions to ask whether something that we expect to happen has happened:

Have you paid the bill yet?
(= Perhaps you have not paid the bill, but you are going to pay it soon.)

Has it stopped raining yet?
(= Perhaps is has not stopped raining, but it will stop raining soon.)

Have you found a job yet?


Notice that we usually put yet at the end of a negative statement or question:

They haven't replied to my letter yet. Have you found a job yet?






1 comentario:

Mariano de Toledo dijo...

Hey Jonatho, que manera de reírnos ayer, claro el parcito solo se reían de mi al lanzar alaridos que supuestamente eran sonidos muy armónicos, jajajajajaja, solo trate de cantar.

Como el viejo dicho, el que la sigue la consigue, así que a enterrar la cabeza en tus libros, y yo por acá a trabajar cada día más duro para cosechar ricos frutos.

Un abrazo gigante…